Your liver works hard everyday to eliminate toxins out of your body. In this world of highly processed food, we are giving our livers more to do than ever before-- and not without consequences. Detoxing is a great way of giving your liver a much-needed break. If you are starting a new diet, a detox could help to jumpstart and reset what is going on in your body. Some of the benefits of a detox include: weight loss, more energy, a better immune system, clearer mind, improved skin, shiny hair, and more positive feelings about your health and body.
We have gathered together 3 Easy & Fun Detox recipes for you to try this fall!
Broccoli and Red Lentil Detox Soup by Beauty Bites
What says "it's fall, ya'll" more than a warm and nutritious soup? Beauty Bites has given us an amazingly delicious and extremely healthy soup-- perfect for detoxing our bodies and giving it the nutrients it needs to run well! Also, with all the chilly weather and rain, a little bit of yummy soup can go a long way to cheer us up as well.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/3 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
1.5 cups broccoli
1/2 cup red lentils
some mint leaves (5-10)
some cilantro (optional)
1 red chili pepper (optional!)
2 tbsp olive oil
- Soak lentils for 30min-1h. Prepare the rest - peel garlic and onion, wash herbs and vegetables and chop broccoli, onion, chili (optional), cilantro (optional), mint leaves.
- In a small cooking pot add 1tbsp olive oil and sautee the garlic and onions at medium-high for about 1 min. Add the spices (turmeric, ginger, cumin and opt. cardamom). Stir and add "a sip" of water, so that the spices don't burn.
- Stir again and add chopped broccoli, lentils, 1/2 tsp salt (approx. I'm still struggling with measuring salt, I usually pinch) and 2-3 cups of water (so that everything is covered).
- Cover everything with the lid and cook for 8-10 min until lentils are tender and everything else is cooked.
- Add the herbs (mint and optionally cilantro). Take off heat.
- With your hand blender blend the soup. I didn't blend all the way through as I like soups chunky. If you'd like - blend all the way through until smooth (won't affect taste, just texture). Add 1 more tbsp olive oil and stir in. Salt to taste, add water if too thick (shouldn't be).
- Optionally: Slice red chilli pepper and add at the end.
- Serve hot and if you'd like top with some hot paprika flakes and cumin.
Almond, Berry, and Chicken Spinach Salad by Chelsea's Messy Apron
'Tis the season of plenty! The harvest is here and we have more food than we know what to do with! Substitute the chicken with tofu or beans if you are looking for a vegetarian/vegan option! Make sure you eat as many whole foods as possible to provide the best nutrition for your body!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (plus olive oil)
4 cups baby spinach remove stems if desired
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 cup clementine or mandarine oranges
2-3 tablespoons feta cheese
2-3 tablespoons slivered almonds
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey
Optional: squeeze of lemon, Mrs. Dash chicken grilling blends seasoning, salt
- Prepare the fruits and lettuce by washing and completely drying. If the spinach is still wet it won't absorb the dressing very well.
- Remove strawberry stems and slice them. Remove clementine skins and separate into sections. OR drain a can of mandarine oranges.
- Remove fat from chicken. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash chicken grilling blends to taste.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil.
- Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Place the chicken in the skillet and then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear, or about 8 to 12 minutes.
- As the chicken cooks, turn it occasionally so it browns evenly. If it starts to brown too quickly, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and honey) into an airtight jar. Add some salt to taste. Shake until well combined. Toss the dressing with the spinach in a large bowl. Add in the fruit and feta cheese and toss again. If desired squeeze some fresh lemon over the salad.
- Toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes stirring constantly. Add the almonds to the salad.
- Once the chicken is finished, remove from heat and slice or chop it. Let it cool and then add it to the salad.
- If not enjoying immediately do not toss with the dressing or feta cheese!
Homemade Colon Cleanse with 3 Juices by Healthy Beauty Planet
Sometimes, our body doesn't get rid of all the waste it needs to because we are not treating it right. One way to cleanse your colon is to try this warm and tasty juice! It'll help move along all the waste that your body has been storing and leave your system clean and more efficient!
Total Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 1 serving
½ cup 100 percent pure organic apple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ginger juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup warm purified water
Start with a tall glass and a spoon.
Place 3.5 ounces of purified water in a pan. You want to warm the water, not boil it, so that you can drink the water at a safe temperature.
Once it is warm, pour it into your glass. Then add the sea salt and stir.
Add the apple juice, ginger juice and fresh lemon juice. Stir.
Drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Then have this mixture again just before a light lunch, and again mid-afternoon.
Detox by Supplementation
Hey, sometimes we all need a little help. Supplements can go a long way to helping you detox as well! Check out our products below that will help you get the vitamins you need to detox as well as herbal blends that will heal and bring balance to your body!
This supplement is a plant-based herbal blend that includes milk thistle, American ginseng, bupleurum, Siberian rhodiola, Chinese salvia, turmeric rhizome, schisandra, white atractylodes, ginger, and Chinese rhubarb.
Milk Thistle (Silybum Marianum):
When Milk Thistle is crushed, it produces a white fluid that greatly resembles milk. That’s how it got its name! Did you know that Milk Thistle has been used for over 2,000 years as a liver tonic? It’s benefits are really no secret! It’s strengths are detoxifying and protecting vital liver functions. It has also been shown to have amazing antioxidant effects. So, when you need your liver to work better and get cleaner, you can rely on Milk Thistle!
Bupleurum (Bupleurum Chinese):
A highly revered detoxifying herb of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), bupleurum has been around treating livers for over 2,000 years. This root is said to “cool down” the liver because of its anti-inflammatory properties. This herb also has antiviral, hepatoprotective, antiproliferative (to stop spread of cancer cells), and chemopreventive (to keep cancer from developing) characteristics. Bupleurum is also an herb very useful for regulating the adrenal system.
Chinese Salvia (Salvia Miltiorrhiza):
Salvia Miltiorrhiza, also called Chinese Salvia or Danshen, is widely used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). It is often combined with other herbs to treat a diversity of ailments that affected the blood- heart, arteries, and blood vessels. It is because of Danshen’s ability to “thin” the blood and reduce blood clotting. Recently, there have been more studies that are focusing on Danshen’s benefits for the liver. Diseases that affect the liver such as hepatitis and cirrhosis could be helped by Chinese Salvia because of its antioxidant properties.
White Atractylodes (Atractylodes Macrocephalae):
White atractylodes have traditionally used as an excellent tonic and diuretic, and a stomach remedy. It is said to benefit and fortify the spleen and stomach. Since the stomach is where your immunity begins and where all the chemicals, vitamins, and minerals pass through, it is important to keep it healthy and balanced. That is why we included this ingredient in order to cover every area that affects your liver health.
You can take 2 Liver+ capsules twice a day with a meal. There are 100 capsules in a bottle, so there is a total of 50 servings. This supplement should last you 25 days when taken daily.
Want to wake up feeling refreshed and hydrated after a great night of drinking? Just take one dose (2 capsules) of Refresh+ with dinner before drinking, and another with breakfast the next day if you've really overdone it. Refresh+ contains nutrients that help the liver to process alcohol faster. It also relieves hangover symptoms and reduces fatigue by rehydrating the body. Detox your liver, speed up the rate at which your liver processes the alcohol, and feel fresh and hydrated with Refresh+!
This supplement is a plant-based herbal blend that includes milk thistle, turmeric, burdock, schisandra, and licorice.
Milk Thistle (Silybum Marianum):
When Milk Thistle is crushed, it produces a white fluid that greatly resembles milk. That’s how it got its name! Did you know that Milk Thistle has been used for over 2,000 years as a liver tonic? It’s benefits are really no secret! It’s strengths are detoxifying and protecting vital liver functions. It has also been shown to have amazing antioxidant effects. So, when you need your liver to work better after you’ve put it through the ringer, you can reach for Refresh+ and it’s Milk Thistle!
Turmeric (Curcuma Longa):
One of the ultimate superfoods we know, Turmeric is well-known for being an excellent anti-inflammatory. It’s active ingredient is called curcumin and it was the ingredient that will help you with your hangover. It helps to clean up acid residue leftover from the alcohol. It can also prevent and relieve nausea as well as detoxing your liver. To feel your best after partying too hard, you’ll want turmeric on your team!
Burdock (Arctium Lappa):
Burdock is a well-known ancient herb said to be able to benefit the body in many ways including purifying the blood, increasing urine flow, killing germs, reducing fever, and treating a number of other ailments. It contains the phenolic acids, quercetin and luteolin, which are powerful antioxidants. It is very efficient in detoxifying the body as it helps to clean the blood, kidney, liver, and lymphatic systems. It can even aid in digestion. For all these reasons, you’ll want burdock on your team to cleanse your body after drinking too much alcohol.
Schisandra (Schisandra Sphenanthera):
Schisandra is a miracle berry from the Far East. It is also an adaptogen, which means it can help your body “adapt” to stressors by getting you back into balance. It is a natural substance that gives you a little mental an physical boost when you’re not feeling so hot. It contains a host of beneficial compounds for your body including phytochemicals, essential oils, lignans, vitamins A and C, chromium, phosphorus, magnesium, silica, healthy fats, and even antioxidants. Because of all of these qualities, Schisandra can aid in cleansing and boosting your liver function, which means faster recovery for you when you’re hungover.
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra):
Two of the main compounds in licorice, glycyrrhizin and glycyrrhetinic acid, help prevent the liver cells from damage. In Japan, they use licorice to treat cirrhosis! Licorice is also very high in antioxidants, which means it will further help you to get rid of the bad oxidative stress in your body and leave you feeling refreshed! In addition to preventing liver damage, licorice is also known for soothing an upset stomach. You’ll definitely want that when you know it’s going to be a wild night!
You can take 2 Refresh+ capsules twice a day with a meal. If you will be drinking overnight, then 2 capsules with dinner and another 2 at breakfast should help to relieve your hungover symptoms and start repairing your body!